Sunday, May 30, 2021

A Creative Bibliophile - May 2021

I've started a few books lately that I just couldn't finish - I give myself at least a few chapters before putting it down for good.  I also just put the nook app on my iPhone so I now have over 1200 books/samples with me wherever I go .  I hate being somewhere with time on my hands, but no book to read ! What are your latest favorite reads ?? Do you have any recommendations for my To-Read list ?? 


This month I have a "domestic thriller" to review. I guess that is the latest genre of books to capture our attention . Gone Girl, The Woman on the Train, The Wife Between Us, The Silent Patient . Well you get the picture. The cover of this one caught my eye and I got the sample on my nook .. It drew me in and the price was fabulous so - the rest is history !!


I had already finished this book when I read that it was a contemporary retelling of the classic Jane Eyre . I will confess that I have never read that book - or many other classic novels. But I can tell you that this book kept me interested and had many great twists and turns that I did not figure out . The book centers around Jane & Eddie . Jane is a dog-walker in a gated community, who has many secrets in her past ( and present ) . Eddie lives in the gated community . He is handsome, wealthy and recently widowed, after his wife and her best friend drown in a tragic accident.  When Jane and Eddie meet, their stories become intertwined and a twisted tale begins.

This book has many great plot twists and gives you a glimpse into both Jane and Eddie's backgrounds. As you read this book, you find yourself asking just what is the truth ?? And is anyone being honest about their lives ?? The story is told from a few perspectives - beginning with Jane. I liked this aspect of the book because we find out much more of the character's stories . In the past, this manner of writing has confused me and made the story harder to follow. But in The Wife Upstairs, it enhances the book.

You can probably tell that I highly recommend this book.  The author Rachel Hawkins has written many Young Adult books,  including several series . This is her first adult novel . I hope that you will pick up this book and enjoy it as much as I did .

My bookmark for this post was made with the Start Something New stamp set from Unity Stamp Company . There's nothing I love more than a big stack of books !!

Start Something New

  • I stamped the images onto a piece of Mixed- Media paper  (the girl ) and a piece of ledger paper ( the sentiment ) .
  • I colored the girl image with my COPICS.
  • Recollections washi tape was applied to the top and bottom of the book stack panel .
  • That panel was then adhered to a piece of Strathmore Toned Blue Mixed Media Paper .
  • The sentiment was adhered to a piece of ledger paper. I made it as large as the completed book stack panel so there would be room to write.
  • On the back of the bookmark, I adhered the sentiment panel. 
Well, it's a gloomy and rainy day here at the beach .. A wash-out for the Memorial Day weekend so far, but perfect reading weather.. I have a few domestic thriller samples to try out - I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh and What You Don't Know by Joann Chaney . Have you read either of those ?? I'll keep you posted !! 

Until next time, stay safe and read a good book !!

Debra Davison / Meticulosity


3 comments:

  1. Cute bookmark! I'm currenting listening to 'The Shadow Box' by Luanne Rice and reading 'Without a Trace {Rock Harbor Series}' by Colleen Coble. Why two? I listen as I craft and I read before bed or any other free time I have. I think you recommended 'The Shadow Box'...? I'm loving it! And I'm definitely going to check out 'The Wife Upstairs'!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card and bookmark Deb! The book sounds riveting. I'm currently readin Born To Run about a Mexican tribe of natural born runners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute bookmark! Looks like you. LOL. This book sounds interesting. I might have to pick download it. At the moment I am still reading The End of October.

    ReplyDelete