Saturday, July 5, 2014

Creating with Tim...

When the Mountain Plains Crafters' Design Team members were each tasked with coming up with a card for July 4, of course, my first thought was Red, White and Blue.. And then because I try to think outside of the box more often these days, I wondered what I could come up with that was a bit different. I knew that I didn't have many - if any -  July 4 themed stamps, so I had to put my thinking cap on. Thought of using some sort of flower petal stamp for fireworks or a flag to be patriotic. Maybe something along a military line with a yellow ribbon. Then I had one of those Oprah "aha moments" .. I remembered all of those Tim Holtz Blueprint stamps that I had bought and were too inTIMidated to use yet. You see, Tim Holtz has always been a creative inspiration to me. From his videos to his blog; from his paper to his Distress ink pads and markers; from his tissue tape to his embossing folders and stencils... Until recently, I have been mostly an admirer of his, a collector of all things Tim. Having seen some of the amazingly creative cards etc. made with his products, I have been very hesitant to use all of my goodies.. Not quite sure I could do his supplies justice, make something worthy, I guess you could say.. I own a Sizzix Vagabond machine but have not even used it yet !! I do use his embossing folders and Distress markers alot but really need to branch out and use much more of what I have..  So, a July 4 card was the perfect opportunity to ink up my Blueprint stamps and create something. I also used Ideology ribbon and some of Tim's Seasonal paper as well as coloring with Distress markers.. I decided that anything I made would be uniquely ME and I finally felt that Tim  ( and I ) would be happy with that... I would like to push myself and branch out, maybe use some embossing paste with  Tim's line of stencils.. Get out my Gelatos and make a background to use with some of the other Ideology stamp sets I own.. You Tube has some amazing videos so stay tuned for some mixed media projects from me also.Hope you like my July 4th creation and also some other Tim-inspired cards.. Who gets you into the creative spirit ?? Let me know who inspires you..


July 4
Blueprint stamps, ribbon & paper ( all by Tim )



Embossing folder, tissue tape & Wish ticket ( all Tim )


Embossing folder (yep, Tim's )

Film strip by Tim
( one of my favorite supplies )

Thank you for sharing in my creative process.
Until next post ....   dEb




14 comments:

  1. Thinking outside the box is good! Awesome projects....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa.... I really enjoyed making this July 4 card !!

      Delete
  3. How stinkin' cute. I love what you came up with. I to, have a collection of Tim Holtz products and find myself wondering what to do with some of them.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, get those supplies out and ideas will come to you...I know I will be using my blueprint stamps more often now after this July 4 card !!

      Delete
  4. I love that you didn't let inTIMidation stop you from being creative and thinking outside the box. I especially like the yellow star with the touch of red, white, and blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me awhile to get my supplies together for this one but once I did, there was no stopping me !!! I especially liked the touch of paper-pieced yellow too ....

      Delete
  5. Love love the kitties! I have to admit I too have an obsession with all things Tim. He creates such amazing art. But, I pull out my Tim supplies and feel I can't live up to MY expectations. Tim is so encouraging, I know its me holding me back. You have done him proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for the kind words !! I felt just like you do. After seeing some of the amazing projects made with his products, I never thought I could come up with anything I would be happy with ... But I even sent Tim a link to this post and he e-mailed me back with more words of encouragement !! So, take the leap and create something Tim -- you will do him proud !! I know you will ....

      Delete
  6. Beautiful cards! I hear you on the intimidation after seeing some of the awe inspiring cards. Just keep plugging along...you'll be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling less intimidated now after everyone's kind words !!

      Delete