Saturday, July 23, 2016

Home Is Where the Crazy Cake Is

Baking was a big part of "Home" for me while growing up in a small town in Northeastern Pennsylvania. My father's parents were of Russian descent and my Baba (grandmother) had many family recipes. My Grammy (mother's mom) seemed to always be in the kitchen with a floury apron on when we would visit. This card was inspired by my mom who always worked in a factory sewing clothes, mainly dresses. She also loved to sew at home. There was also always something going on in the kitchen and this cake was a favorite. I used a copy of the well-worn recipe on this card which is filled with many of my favorite elements - washi, flowers, sequins, one of Susan's stamps, a doily and a few vintage buttons. Also had to use my go-to adhesive , Mono Aqua Liquid Glue by Tombow. To see more details of the process of making this card, please check out my post on My Sweet Earth, the blog for Susan and her Creative Team.



This Crazy Cake recipe was handwritten by my mom  about 50 years ago. I keep it in a Recipe box of hers along with many other recipes. It was written on a notepad from Kaier's Brewery, which was in my hometown of Mahanoy City. It is very easy and I remember helping her with it. One of the moistest cakes I've ever made. I will be sharing this one with some co-workers. A little whipped cream and some strawberries go perfectly with a slice of this cake.. And of course, an ice-cold glass of milk (or cup of coffee)... The Crazy Cake picture is of the actual cake I made this morning..


CRAZY CAKE

  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup baking cocoa
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups cold water
  • Powdered sugar ( optional )
  • PREHEAT oven to 350° F. 

  • COMBINE cake flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Make 3 holes in mixture. Into the first hole, pour the vanilla extract, into the second hole, the vinegar and into the third hole, the vegetable oil. Pour cold water over all. Mix with fork or wire whisk until well blended; do not overbeat. Mixture may contain some small lumps. 
    BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar ( optional ).
Thank you for visiting Meticulosity.. I hope you will comment with a special memory of home, maybe even a favorite recipe. 

Stamp Used :
Motherhood is a Verb

Debra Davison
Susan K Weckesser Creative Team

2 comments: